What is SHAC?
SHAC (School Health Advisory Council) is a school board advisory group of individuals who represent different segments of the community. The HISD SHAC is made up of parents, community members, students and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families through coordinated school health programs.
Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?
- It's a Texas Law
- Healthy children learn better
- Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits
- Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children
- Family and community involvement
- Nutritional services
- Physical education
- Health education,counseling, and social services
- Health services
- Healthy school environment
- Health promotion for school staff
- Planned curriculum for K-12 grades that addresses the physical, mental emotional and social aspects of health
- Curriculum that can motivate and assist students to maintain and improve their health, prevent disease and reduce health related risk behaviors
- Opportunities for students to develop and demonstrate health related knowledge, practices and attitudes
- Qualified teachers, counselors and health professionals