Huntsville ISD Nursing Department provides nursing services that promotes students ability to learn. Our goals are to:
- Assist students in learning how to take care of their health.
- Ensure a safe environment.
- Promote good control of a student’s health condition so they are ready to learn.
Diabetes can affect a student’s ability to learn if it is not under good control. As a reminder, each year we need to have the following information for your child:
- Written diabetes management plan from your health care provider.
- Signed authorization by parent/guardian for medication and treatment at school.
- Diabetes Questionnaire filled out by parent/guardian/student.
In addition, adequate supplies, as listed in the student’s diabetes management plan, must be provided at school:
- Fast acting (juice, soda, glucose tabs)and slower acting (crackers, pretzels) carbohydrate snacks
- Blood glucose meter, strips and supplies
- Ketone testing strips and equipment
- If child is taking insulin at school, please provide the insulin and at least 30 syringes/month
Other items (for Emergency Use Only):
- Syringes and Insulin
- Extra insulin vials, infusion set and cartridge (for pump users)
We look forward to helping your child with diabetes be successful in school. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.
See forms below:
- Action Plan for Students
- Action Plan for Parents/Guardians
- Diabets Medical Action Plan for School
- Diabetes Questionnaire