Phone: (936) 435 - 6100 ext 1507
Degrees and Certifications:
Associate in General Studies, Lone Star CS Bachelor in Criminal Justice, SHSU 7-12 English Language Arts and Reading 4-8 ELAR, Science, Math & Social Studies K-12 English Second Language
Miss Valerie Gonzalez
My name is Valerie Gonzalez, and I am very excited to be joining the HHS English Department.
I began my career in education as a substitute at Mance Park, took a position as an instructional assistant in Conroe ISD, and then returned to Mance Park as a Writing teacher last year. While this is my 2nd year in the classroom, this will be my 4th in education.
I am a second generation Huntsville High School graduate, and I was lucky enough to walk the same stage as my parents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and brother. It gives me great pride to be able to teach in the same halls I walked as a student, and I definitly bleed Hornet Green.
My college career began my Junior year of HS with Dual Credit classes through Lone Star. Because of these classes, I was able to graduate with a year of college done. I then went to Sam Houston to obtain my Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with a minor in Psychology. I will be returning to Sam Houston this year to begin my Masters of Education in Instructional Leadership with a concentration in Curriculum and Instruction. I enjoy being able to share my journey with a students and show them that the possibilities at hand are endless.
I am certified to teach 4-8 Core Subjects, 7-12 ELA, and K-12 English Second Language Learners.
COVID-19 Shutdown Information
This is an unprecedented time in history. It will take cooperation and communication by everyone in order to ensure the success of remote learning. Remember that this is not something we have attempted before on a large scale, so please be patient as we work out the kinks.
- EMAIL: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm Monday - Friday. Please allow 1 business day for a reply.
- GOOGLE HANGOUTS: 3:00 pm - 3:15 pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The link will be posted in Google Classroom for students to access and ask questions.
- ONE-ON-ONE: If you need individual attention to answer questions or help with assignments, this can be scheduled during a time that is convenient for you. Monday-Friday 8 am - 6pm.
- GOOGLE VOICE: I am available by CALL/TEXT Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm (936) 666 - 1563.
- 5th 6 Weeks: 4 Daily Grades & 2 Major Grades
- 6th 6 Weeks: 6 Daily Grades & 2 Major Grades. We will be posting 1-2 lessons a week that will be for a grade. Students must complete the assignments. If a student is not turning in work, we will be contacting the family to ensure completion. There will be no finals this semester, so each 6 weeks this semester will be 33% of the semester grade.
- English I STAAR: Students will NOT take the STAAR test. However, they have to pass the class for the entire year in order to get English I EOC Credit. If your student fails, they WILL have to take the STAAR test in December.
- Where can I find assignments? The best way to complete assignments is in Google Classroom. If you are unable to regularly access internet/computers, there are paper copies available at HHS Monday - Friday.
- How will paper copies be graded? You will need to turn them back into HHS where someone will ensure the papers are sanitized and will scan the documents to the appropriate teacher.
- Resources: You can contact me with questions. I will be posting videos on YouTube (with the links emailed to parents and in Google Classroom) that will explain and model the assignment for students.
- I understand this is a crazy time. I understand there may be multiple kids at home working off of one computer, it may be difficult to regularly access the internet, parents are working from home, etc. I am practicing grace and understanding. If there is a situation that requires extra time for assignment completion, please let me know. I will not punish your child for something out of their control.
- I am very open with my students regarding what is going on. They receive the same mass email parents do, so they know what is going on and is expected of them. As young adults, I treat them with the respect of knowing what is going on around them and how that affects them. Informed students can make proper decisions.
- I love and miss all of my students. I don't have kids of my own and come to think of my students as my own kids. I love them and care about them. If there is anything you need help with, please don't be afraid to reach out. We will ensure that you have everything you need in order to survive this crazy time.
Please reach out if you have any questions, concerns, or comments.
- Valerie Gonzalez